08 March 2012

NLL Crystal Ball: Week 10

I went 1-3 last week. My first really bad week of the season, which brings my season record down to 19-16. I'm rushed for time this week, so my picks, favourites, magic numbers and check-in with preseason predictions are after the break (and it will all be brief).

This Week's Picks
  1. Philadelphia at Toronto
    1. Rock
  2. Calgary at Edmonton
    1. Roughnecks
  3. Buffalo at Rochester
    1. Bandits
  4. Edmonton at Calgary
    1. Rush
  5. Washington at Colorado
    1. Mammoth
  6. Colorado at Washington 
    1. Mammoth
Favourites to Win the Cup
  1. (1) Colorado (would beat Edmonton, Calgary and Toronto)
  2. (2) Calgary (would beat Minnesota and lose to Colorado)
  3. (5) Minnesota (would lose to Calgary)
  4.  (3) Toronto (would beat Buffalo and Rochester before losing to Colorado)
  5. (7) Rochester (would beat Philadelphia and lose to Toronto)
  6. (4) Philadelphia (would lose to Rochester)
  7. (6) Edmonton (would lose to Colorado)
  8. (8) Buffalo (would lose to Toronto)
  9. (9) Washington (still not in playoff picture)
Magic Numbers
Colorado lowered their magic number to four, and if they win both games of the head to head against Washington this weekend they could clinch a playoff spot. Calgary is holding at five, and Minnesota and Rochester are both down to six.

Comparison to Preseason Predictions
East
Buffalo - I thought a season like this was possible if they suffered injuries, but that clearly hasn't been the problem. One of my four terrible predictions, but it's the least shocking.
Philadelphia - I said they'd be third, but that they could push the top two, and that's where they are - top two.
Rochester - I said they'd be fourth with sneaky surprise abilities; there but for the grace of Buffalo they'd be.
Toronto - I said they'd be first, and they are; I said they could withstand injuries, and they are. Doesn't mean they aren't disappointingly inconsistent.


West
Calgary - I said they'd be first in the West; they're currently in third, but if they play up to potential consistently, they should be the number one seed heading into the playoffs.
Colorado - I thought they'd be squeaking into the final playoff spot; this might be the biggest shock of the four surprises this season.
Edmonton - I had them in third this season with the potential to fall to fifth if their goaltending didn't pan out. Their tending and D have been fantastic and they're in a dog-fight for the final playoff spot.
Minnesota - I had them missing the playoffs. They're currently second in the West. Close second to Colorado for biggest shock of the season.
Washington - I had them finishing second in the West, with the potential to turn it on when it matters. Maybe this week was them turning it on? They've been the biggest disappointment so far, easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment