22 March 2012

NLL Crystal Ball: Week 12

I got back to my winning ways last week with a perfect 3-0 week. I'm now 24-20 on the season. If only I could transfer my mojo to the Rock ...
It's been yet another busy week for me, so the not-even-remotely-insightful picks, favourites and magic numbers are after the break.

This Week's Picks
This is an unusually tough week to make picks. I'm only confident in one of my picks (Calgary over Buffalo). The rest are confusing. New goalies, home-and-home, back-to-back vs rest, losing streaks, etc.
  1. Philadelphia at Colorado
    1. Mammoth. I'm going with a split in this home-and-home. I want partial credit if they split, but with the visitors rather than home teams winning.
  2. Toronto at Rochester
    1. Knighthawks. I think the Rock will be hungrier, and I think they've had Vinc's and Rochester's number over the past few seasons, but this boils down to unproven goaltending. If Rochester's scouting doesn't know Rose's weaknesses or how to exploit Toronto's current defence, then Toronto stands a chance in this one.
  3. Washington at Edmonton
    1. Rush. My gut and I are have a bit of a disagreement about the games involving Washington this weekend. My gut instinct says Stealth in this game and Swarm in the second, but I feel strongly about picking the team that played the night before when they face a rested squad. I also feel strongly that Washington will not sweep its weekend.
  4. Buffalo at Calgary
    1. Roughnecks. Two teams that are perfectly matched for extracurricular nonsense, but Calgary has more talent.
  5. Colorado at Philadelphia
    1. Wings. I'm still having second thoughts about picking the home teams in this weekend series.
  6. Minnesota at Washington
    1. Stealth. If Washington wasn't playing the night before, I'd pick the Swarm, but teams that play twice in one weekend have an advantage in their second game over teams that are rested.
Favourites to Win the Cup
  1. (1) Colorado (would beat Washington, Calgary and Philadelphia to win the Cup)
  2. (2) Calgary (would beat Minnesota and lose to Colorado)
  3. (4) Philadelphia (would beat Toronto and Rochester before losing to Colorado)
  4. (3) Minnesota (would lose to Calgary)
  5. (5) Rochester (would beat Buffalo and lose to Philadelphia)
  6. (9) Buffalo (would lose to Rochester)
  7. (7) Washington (would lose to Colorado)
  8. (6) Toronto (would lose to Philadelphia)
  9. (8) Edmonton (not in playoff picture)
Magic Numbers
Colorado is still one game away from clinching. Calgary is holding at two, and Philadelphia is down to three. All three of those teams can clinch this weekend. Rochester is holding at four, and they could get within one of clinching this weekend. Minnesota is at five, and could get within one by the end of the weekend. Buffalo and Toronto are at six, Washington is at seven and Edmonton is at eight.

No comments:

Post a Comment