04 May 2012

NLL Crystal Ball: 2012 Playoff Edition

In the final week of the NLL season I went 2-2. I finished the season ahead of all the experts at IL Indoor with a record of 40-32. <pause to take bow and accept flowers from the roaring standing ovation> Since I started making predictions about the NLL I'm 46-33, so now it's time to see what I've got for this year's playoffs.

West
  1. Calgary hosts Edmonton
    1. Sorry Rush, but this one's a no-brainer unless the Roughnecks implode.
  2. Colorado hosts Minnesota
    1. I thought the Swarm would beat the Mammoth this week, but then they went and did it last week. I still have a niggling feeling that Minnesota could do it again this week - they're my dark-horse candidate to make a serious run.
  3. Calgary hosts Colorado
    1. The Mammoth will probably survive the Swarm, but they'll get Roughed up in the division final by the Necks. I would take Calgary regardless of the opponent, although Minnesota tempts me.
East
  1. Toronto hosts Buffalo
    1. I actually have a very bad feeling about this game, as a Rock fan. Either team could win. I could toss a coin, but I'm going to go with my wishful-thinking gut and pick the Rock. I'm sure their experience will provide an advantage, but a Bandits team rallying to win a Cup for a has-to-be-retiring-one-of-these-years Tavares would only bother me a little bit.
  2. Rochester hosts Philadelphia
    1. Neither of these teams has looked great this season, so I'm going with the Wings over the Knighthawks for two reasons. First, Dawson is a playoff monster. Second, Vinc's playoff record looks a lot like Cosmo's (I think. I haven't actually compared the two).
  3. Toronto hosts Philadelphia
    1. I could very easily be wrong about both divisional semi-final games, but I'd be confident in a Rock win over either the Wings or the Knighthawks in the division final. I think I would also take the Bandits over Philadelphia or Rochester as well, but I haven't really thought it through.
Finals
  1. Calgary hosts Toronto
    1. This was my pre-season prediction, and I'm sticking with my pre-season belief that Calgary will win. The Roughnecks would beat any challenger.
    2. Also, who the hell booked the Champion's Cup game on the May long weekend? If the Rock make the game and have to host it, they better book the Friday night, because I will probably skip the game if they pick the Sunday. I'm being serious. Nothing better stand between me and my fireworks at the cottage!

No comments:

Post a Comment