04 September 2010

Playing Blocks

Last weekend I crossed two blocks from my wishlist, because I'm not sure I'm going to like the bisque finish, and the completist in me figured I couldn't live without another Tree or Skull!
  1. T45 Piano Keys
  2. T123 French Crest
  3. T191 Tree of Life Evolution
  4. T199 Imperial Column
  5. T205 Destiny (Black)

New tiles always mean that it's time to rearrange the existing displays. Let's start with the living room. Before, it looked like this:

Completing the trifecta of Destiny tiles meant that it was finally time to dig the first two out of their closet caskets and display the trio of morbid blocks. I've said all along that if Sid had made a Silver Destiny with a Red Heart, that I'd only need one of these. I'm going to try them out for a while, on principle, before shipping them back to the closet for their re-death. There was no way they were going in the bedroom, so they had to come out into the living room, and the only place for a trio of blocks in this display was to replace the triplet of blood-red blocks (Innocence, Cross and Regal Stars). It's difficult adjusting to a display without Cross in the middle! I was also increasingly disappointed with the unbalanced quartet of Fleur, Silver Heraldry, Hand with Heart (redubbed - Friendship, Truth, Love) and Astrology. Four fantastic blocks, but not ideally matched up together. I brought out the North Carolina golden babies (Season) from the bedroom, because I thought the gold would play nice with the New Orleans-styled King and Queen blocks, and I've always liked how Family Crest and Embleme play with the golden babies. So now the living room display looks like this:

I know that I want to put Piano Keys in place of Musical Notation, and move Musical Notation up to replace Trans in the top corner, which means Trans would head off to the bedroom. I don't know what I'll do when I get French Crest, the block that Sid re-used to create the golden babies, as I'm out of spots to put triplets. It's pretty obvious that Imperial Column will have to hang out with the other beautiful blondes in the bedroom. The bedroom display started off like this:

But with the changes to the living room, the bedroom display now had a series of holes created by moving the four crests out. It was also going to have to make room for the new Tree, as well as the seven tiles displaced from the living room. Displaying my normal abilities to think outside the box I grouped the four trees together. Shocking! Next I put Innocence with the other two red hearts (Sacred and Seven) in a nice little trio. To fill the gap between the trio of hearts I decided to put the Hands in (too bad neither is a left hand). Finally, I paired up the Fleurs with the two silver blocks (Passage and Virtue). This is the resulting display:

At this point I only have two completed Sid Savers left, and a bag of half-finished ones from my brother, so four blocks are just hanging around. I'm going to create two new outside columns in the bedroom. On the left: Liberty and Cross; on the right: Pride and Regal Stars.

1 comment:

  1. Jonathan, I heart that you're so anal and particular about Sid Dickens blocks. Not only are they frakking gorgeous (your displays are fabulous--good choices, I'm very jealous!), you haven't changed at all. ;)

    ReplyDelete