10 September 2010

Grading the Rock's Draft Class

NLL Insider gives the Rock a B+. I assume the B is for best, and the + is for even better.

By way of comparison, last year the Rock got an A (behind the Mammoth and Bandits). We all know how that worked out. Stephan Leblanc won Rookie of the Year, and Garrett Billings could just have easily have walked away with the hardware since the two were neck and neck in the rookie scoring race (and way ahead of the rest of the pack). Joel Dalgarno was part of the trade for Colin Doyle. Anthony Lackey contributed on defence, and undrafted rooks Drew Petkoff, Creighton Reid and Brendan Doran held their own out of the back gate.

I assume the step down from A to B+ means that we can only expect one rookie of the year candidate and two solid contributors. Either way, I'm excited. I'm probably more excited about lacrosse season starting than the NHL, and I'm waking up bright and early Saturday morning to get into the online queue to buy a ticket to the Habs game against the Devils on October 21st when I'll be in Montreal for the Canadian Science Policy Conference.

Also, while we're on the sports theme, I'm still riding a bit of a high from our big come from behind victory to keep our playoffs alive in slopitch last night. I don't even care that we should never have been behind in the game, or that we very nearly won our earlier game that would have made our playoff route much easier. Go Moruns Go!

No comments:

Post a Comment