27 June 2012

Fireworks: Perpetual Pursuit of Perfection

Well, the first part of summer has flown by. Seems like just yesterday that I was buying fireworks for the May 2-4 long weekend. Since then I've learned a few things that I wanted to pass along.

First, we got some duds last time. Nearly every single barrage was a bust. None of the shots made it as high as they should have, and I'm pretty sure some just fizzled in the tube. I'm not sure if it was a bad batch, but it really put a damper on our show. Instead of buying any barrages this time around, I bought more roman candles.

The other variable that I'm going to play with is the number of mines this time around. Last time I had a lot. Like one shell for every roman candle and barrage. I love shells for the aesthetics of getting unique effects, but the audience found the single shots boring. More specifically, they found it a bit disappointing that after waiting for me to get the firework setup and lit, it only fired once and then I was back out to light something else. So this time I got less shells. A lot less. I only bought the two that had really unique effects.

Instead, I upped the number of fountains and cakes. I tried to get one firework for each type of aerial effect, but given how awesomely popular willows and fishes are, I bought extras of those. Overall we're going to have a few less fireworks to light, but a few more burning balls in the sky.
So much fireawesomenessworks
I made all the choices for what to buy immediately after the show in May, but then I made a couple of last minute additions, because I was in a super good mood when I put together the shopping list. It was just what this doctor ordered ;)

For those coming to see our show, or those who want to keep score at home, here's what we're doing.
  1. Sparklers and globracelets
  2. School on Fire
  3. Transformation Candle (new)
  4. Paradise Birds
  5. Keg Fountain
  6. Party Girl (new)
  7. Heaven's Gate
  8. Screaming Banshee
  9. Jackpot Fountain
  10. Radical (new)
  11. Blistering Cactus
  12. Magnum Bombard
  13. Spring Fling
  14. Silver Bees
  15. Mad Dog
  16. African Lion
  17. Blasting Agent
  18. Bahama Mama
  19. Greedy Goblins
  20. Wonder Wave
  21. Piranha
  22. Menace

No comments:

Post a Comment