17 August 2010

Proof that you'll read anything

I've decided that I need to rediscover my love of writing so that I can get the d-thingy over and done with. I need to write hourly/daily/weekly. Since the d-thingy is going to be read by a committee and an external examiner, and perhaps in the long run by the people associated with publishing and even (gasp) some real people, it seems that I should be practicing writing where other people can read it. At least in theory people can and will read this, right?



Blogs have always seemed like one part private diary and one part letter to a non-existent penpal. A cathartic exercise done in public with the hopes that somehow someone or something somewhere will benefit.

My current plan for the blogosphere is to create two blogs. This personal one, and a professional one at some point down the road (soonish, I hope). The professional one will focus on topics for which I have some claim to expertise, which means that only a very few people will be interested in reading the posts. This is the danger of specialization: unique knowledge or abilities and very few peers. It will include posts about writer's block, teaching, my research, and other topics that apply my overeducation. Hopefully this professional blog will be accessible, even with its narrow focus.

This personal blog, on the other hand, will be more general in its focus. Whatever interests me at any given time. No claims to unique authority or insight, just a guy voicing his opinion on the interwebs. I already wrote about my love of Sid Dickens memory blocks, I'm sure I'll feel inclined to talk about them regularly with the release of each new collection. I've been using a dSLR camera for over a month and I bet I'll have an opinion or two about the awesomeness of taking nice photographs. Other likely topics include sports, music, books, family, pets, news, Dave Barry, well you get the point: the title of blog is probably more interesting than anything I will ever post.

And now back to our regularly scheduled dissertating.

No comments:

Post a Comment