24 October 2012

Rocktoberfest

The Toronto Rock are pretty good to their season ticket holders. There's often a little trinket in with the tickets each year, and lately they've hosted a season ticket holder party. I generally do everything I can to pass along these favours to people who will appreciate it the most - kids (like my nephews). Last year they started Rocktoberfest, a two week draw of prizes for everyone who renewed or purchased season seats before the deadline. Cool stuff, but it's not like I'd ever win anything ... except that trivia contest when I won an autographed Whipper ball and playing card.

Yesterday's draw was for a game-worn and autographed Pat Campbell jersey. I chuckled a bit at the game-worn label, as Campbell probably didn't even break a sweat opening the gate all game and then running a very vigorous lap after the game to salute the fans. He's a super fit guy, so those things shouldn't be too much of a challenge, even in full equipment. It was probably the best job in the world backing up Whipper in 2011 - you get the best seat in the house to watch Bob Watson, who was so good he made it look like he was barely breaking a sweat.

Turns out, I should've been more concerned with the label 'autographed,' because to my great shock I got an email yesterday just after lunch notifying me that I was the winner. I sent them my address, and genuine shock and excitement at being named the winner. The first thing I did was figure out if autographed jerseys can be washed, because I sure as hell planned to wear this awesome jersey to games. No more wearing my boring old replica jersey that I got when they were fireselling their very limited inventory at the end of the dark ages. I was going to have the real thing.

I expected it to be big on me, but I figured it shouldn't be that big. I mean, I'm a shade taller, and a few pounds lighter than Pat. Wrong. I'm swimming in this thing! I'm still wearing it with tremendous pride, and I'm not sure when I'll take it off ... probably lunch because I won't want to spill although I doubt I could actually eat in this canopy anyway.

Needless to say, I can't wait for the start of the season. I can barely wait for training camp to start, because I'm seriously considering taking in an exhibition game or two. I love Montreal!

Yup, it's the size of my couch.

I don't see an autograph.

Still don't see an autograph.
Love all the patches on the arms and the Whip patch on the chest.
So yeah. This is pretty much the most awesome thing ever. It was delivered to my door before they even posted the announcement indicating that I'd won. Glad to be a season ticket holder. Can't wait for the season. Might even think about reversing my 'I don't care about autographs' philosophy to get a few on this beauty. I mean, I did go to all that bother of learning how to wash and preserve autographs and this jersey is big enough to get an autograph from every player who has ever played for the Rock :D

Go Rock Go!

PS, buy season tickets. The Rock are really good to us!

No comments:

Post a Comment