01 January 2011

Playing Blocks IV

I spoke too soon when I said I wouldn't bother getting Piano Keys for a while yet!


My wife's parents went on an epic journey and a half to track it down as a Christmas present. It was the kind of quest that reminded me of when I first caught the addiction bug, and the kind of relentless pursuit of a tile that no non-collector can ever understand. It involved at least four stores, several phone calls and emails, and three or more trips. It was the kind of quest you embark upon to snap a newly retired tile that you didn't think you wanted until you realized you might not be able to buy it at retail value unless you act fast (or the kind of mission you embark upon to find the last store to finally raise prices according to the dictates from the head office in Vancouver).

So Piano Keys is in, Musical Notation is moved and Trans is hanging out in the closet waiting for a dance partner. It's either going to have to be something nice from the next collection, or a retired tile. Either way, I'm betting it's going to be a long time before Trans is allowed back out of storage.

Here is the new living room display (click on the image to enlarge it, and then zoom to your heart's delight):






When I get a chance, hopefully in the next couple of days, I'll post pictures of the in-laws collection. I'm sure it will be a welcome change for those who are getting bored with my tile-by-tile tweaks (of which there won't be any until I start scooping up the last seven retired tiles). My wife also noticed a stunning collection at a salon in Toronto that I'm going to see if I can get pictures of and post them here (it's made up entirely of PQ-era blocks).

No comments:

Post a Comment